Plant Nutrient Oversight
Plant Nutrient Oversight Committee Purpose, Structure, and Role
- Purpose: Provide standing authority to define and maintain the internal consistency and scientific integrity of IFAS nutrient management recommendations for Florida agricultural and horticultural crops.
- Authority comes from UF/IFAS SVP, delegated to the Deans for Research and Extension as Co-Chairs. Tom Obreza is serving as “Chief Operating Officer.”
- Core PNOC consists of 14 members, roughly half IFAS Administrators and half senior faculty with a nutrient management background.
- PNOC meets as needed to conduct business using a hybrid in-person and Zoom format.
- Sub-committees composed of nutrient management research/extension faculty will develop specific IFAS nutrient recommendations and management systems.
- Prioritize commodities and associated nutrients that require IFAS nutrient management recommendation changes.
- Define the standard format for an IFAS nutrient management recommendation.
- Develop a standard process for faculty to follow when updating IFAS recommendations.
- Set criteria that faculty must meet to change an IFAS recommendation.
- Evaluate faculty proposals to change IFAS recommendations, and vote to approve, return for revision, or deny.
- Engage stakeholders in two-way communication about PNOC activities.
Rank Location Notes Administrators Rob Gilbert Dean/Prof Campus Co-chair Andra Johnson Dean/Prof Campus Co-chair Saqib Mukhtar Assoc. Dean Campus ANR Ext Prog Leader Michael Dukes CLUE Dir/Prof Campus Water Mgt Gopal Kakani Agron Chair/Prof Campus Agron rep Chris Gunter Hort Sci Chair/Prof Campus Hort Sci rep Eric Simonne Dist Ext Dir/Prof Campus Nutr Mgt Dean Kopsell Env Hort Chair/Prof Campus Env Hort rep Samira Daroub EREC Dir/Prof EREC REC rep, Nutr Mgt Faculty Tom Obreza (COO) Nutr Mgt Program Dir/Prof Campus Nutr Mgt Rao Mylavarapu Prof Campus Nutr Mgt Kelly Morgan Prof Campus Nutr Mgt Sanjay Shukla Prof SWFREC Water/Nutr Mgt Cheryl Mackowiak Assoc Prof NFREC Nutr Mgt Other Jerry Fankhauser Asst Dir/FAES Campus Scribe
- PNOC Meeting 19 October 2022
- PNOC Meeting 13 February 2023
- PNOC Meeting 3 May 2023
- PNOC Meeting 13 Sep 2023